Helo list,
I don't recall if it was here that I heard of this mySQLMan package.  I
think so.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/mysqlman/index.htm has
quickly saved me lots of hair, and will soon enable me to go live with
mySQL... My use and interest in mySQL has just taken a quantum leap forward.

I have known for a long time that I would eventually want to run mySQL but
the inability to use a web browser to access and manipulate data was a
show-stopper for me.  I just could not see myself getting all that excited
by a character-based interface.  It works for some things but not for
serious database development, IMO.  Last time I checked, Oracle wanted about
1,000,000 US dollars for their front-end gizmo (Oracle Forms?).  I'm sure it
has come down some since I checked.  And maybe there is an X-Windows GUI
interface available, but I am not aware of it.

I have worked with 3-GL's in character based mode for over a decade; I like
being spoiled by a browser and a GUI. So, I waited and waited, and voila,
someone finally invented the wheel.  The only thing I KNEW for sure during
this time was that I was not going to give in and begin to use a MS product
like Access; one that runs only on Windoze based O/S's.  There are lots of
great products for Windoze and I have to hand it to MS for marketing, but
I'm not interested in having to reboot and reboot just to regain resources
with a production system.  While there are lots of users of MS-Access, it
doesn't come in a Linux flavor so I could not devote much of my mindshare to
it.  It is an unfortunate reality because I really need a good database but
it had to run on Linux to get my attention.

So, now that I have found mySQLMan, I owe someone a huge "Thank you!".  I
got it up and running in a day, or so, and I'm excited to be moving on with
my little project.  I do get the impression that mySQL is compatible with RH
Interchange as the install asks this question during setup. Hope that proves
to be true.  If there is a better way to go for an ecommerce server than
Interchange, I have not seen it--but I'm all ears!  Any caveats or
alternative recommendations would be considered but only for a short
time...I'm about to attain lift off!

Personally, I do think the security issues on mySQL take up an inordinate
amount of time (from what I can see on this list, it's a major issue that
needs revisited from a development point of view).  Thankfully, by seeing
that there is more than one table involved with the mySQL database, I poked
at it long enough that I finally got the remote login to work.   Geepers,
what a nightmare...

Wouldn't it just be easier to hang all of the illegally intruding b*$#(@+s
until we eradicated them from the planet?

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.
alias Number 1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com