Hello all.

For my first post to the list, I have a very strange problem.  (And yes,
I have perused the archives.  I haven't found anything similar.)

Here's the situation:

I've got 6 machines that that make requests to a 7th machine, which is
running mysql-3.23.47.  All the machines are FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE.

Our example query is "SELECT id, username, domain FROM usermanagement
LIMIT 1000", id is a primary key, and both username and domain are
indexed.

The first three servers make the query in about 0.13 seconds.  The last
three take about 6.01 seconds to perform the query.

This has been consistant and repeatable.

All the machines are running the same client software.  They are all
connected to the server over a switch, with no routers inbetween.  They
all are in the same subnet.  They are also all configured in the same
way - they are mail servers.  The load is balanced, and no server is
doing any significantly larger amount of processing than the others.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to try to fix this problem?

Many many thanks in advance,
Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Cain
Unix Systems Administrator           [EMAIL PROTECTED]