Any suggestions on how to pull off the following ...

I'd like to setup a box to function primarily as a database server.
Secondary functions will be running some java applications, basic apache web
server.  My intent is to use mySQL as the db behind a small web search
engine. I'll certainly be giving its full text indexing a good workout.
>From a hardware standpoint I'll probably use a raid setup of a few hundred
GB.  IDE storage space is getting cheaper now days.  I'm mostly concerned
about file system limitations from the OS angle and mySQL's table size
limitations .... and how everything comes together in one system ....

This is primarily a research interest, nothing major.  Any thoughts or
comments would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks
jon