Tino Didriksen queried:

> I have a column that is VARCHAR(32). I use it to store MD5 hash values.
MD5
> hashes are always 32 byte.
> In other words, that's 1 byte wasted because it's VARCHAR.
>
> With 2500 entries and more on the way, that's at least 2500 byte wasted.

2500 bytes out of 82,500? Three percent. How valuable is that 3%? How does
it balance with other wasted space in the table? Total space?

> Is there no way to enforce a column type around the silent changes?

You do understand the trade-offs involved in allowing variable length
records in a database? that the database software has to either allocate the
maximum width for each variable length field, or use an additional level of
indirection in the indexing?

Just a thought.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka

Filter fodder: sql,query
(I thought the filter also accepted "database" and various sql commands,
MySQL data types and things? Has the filter gone strict on us?)