Thanks Steven,

I can telnet to port 3306 of the master system just fine.  A (likely
unimportant and useless) test I did was to telnet to 3306 on the master and
then run "netstat -an" on the master to see if the connect was made.  Yes
it was...

tcp        0      0 10.0.0.10:3306          10.0.0.9:3017           ESTABLISHED

What are the chances that MySQL doesn't work so well with 10.0.0.0 network
addresses?

I did flush privileges after adding the user.  It didn't help.

I had the same feeling about the configuration file being incorrect because
of the IP address and timeout not being set correctly.  I have compared
yours and mine and don't see any significant differences except that I am
using a numerical IP address for my master-host.

Here is my slave my.cnf:

[mysqld]
datadir=/home/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock