On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:46:01 +0200, Egor Egorov wrote:

>You must first install original MySQL (rpm) package and then you can
>install MySQK-max RPM. You can read about mysqld-max at:
>      http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqld-max.html
>
>If you want to use InnoDB tables you should specify InnoDB startup
>options in my.cnf file, take a look at:
>      http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB_start.html
>You can find info about configuration parametrs and example if you
>check this link.

Egor, thanks !

I obviously misunderstood mysql.com's pages at:

----------------
Downloads for the Max 3.23 version
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-max-3.23.html

MySQL has during the years grown to be a quite big and capable SQL server with a lot
of useful extensions that can be
enabled at compile time. As not all users will have use for all extensions, we have
solved this by providing two different
MySQL binaries.

The standard MySQL 3.23 binary that is optimized for raw speed and without
transactions.
The MySQL-Max 3.23 binary which includes support for the most requested features, like
support for Berkeley DB (BDB)
and/or InnoDB tables.
----------------

I took it as 'it's a stand alone, no need for non-max'

thanks for the help, I'll try again,

as I'm rather new to rpm thing, can you pls tell me:

if I installed RedHat7.1, and, MySQL that came with RH CD;

them I download latest MySQL rpm file:

am I supposed to:
rpm -UPGRADE OPTION rpm file;
or
rpm -INSTALL OPTION rpm file

?

also, after I install MySQL 3.23 binary rpm, followed by MySQLMAX 3.23 binary rpm,
and, edit the my.cnf as you note:

do I end up with two MySQLd ? so, I can run either max, or, not max ?

does these rpms include mysql client, or what do I need to d/l ?

(doing the RH install, it has separate option for client, and mysqld, hence, I'm
asking)