Mark, Peter,

The query below assumes that the user will search of FirstName and none
or more of the other fields - which was not how the question reads (to
me).

To answer the question it would be useful to know how you are accessing
MySQL - are you using PHP (as per example code below) for example?

When the form data is received it is (very) necessary to 'clean' and
validate the data. Part of this process involves the question "was this
field filled out?". Thus front end-processing is the time for the
query's WHERE clause to be built up. The last question is going to be
"has at least one field been filled out?"!

The methodology of Peter's reply still applies. There are a number of
tutorials available on various sites (but can't point you at one because
don't know which tool you're using!!!). Would certainly recommend
researching a few...

Regards,
=dn

> $query = 'SELECT *
>   FROM Table
>   WHERE
>           FirstName LIKE "%'.$firstname.'%"' ;
>           if($lastname)$query.= ', AND LastName LIKE
"%'.$lastname.'%"';