Ian Linekrans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi All !
> The configuration:
>
> - Redhat 7.2 (Enigma) pre-build installation.
> - Mysql with the following rpms installed:
>                       MySQL-3.23.49a-1.i386.rpm
>                       MySQL-client-3.23.49a-1.i386.rpm
>
> The installation and connection as root to the database server works
> fine but when changing the root password according to all the
>  different ways as described by mysql manuals and then trying to
> reconnect results in the following error :
>
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password
> YES)
> Segmentation fault
>
> The same error message appears when changing the password for an another
> user in the database. Note if no password is set everything works fine !
>
> Soo whats is the deal !!!
>
> Anyone who has the same problem  - feel free to contact me if you have a
> solution.

You're using mysql rpms from MySQL - use the ones from Red Hat, they
are known to work well.

You should also be able to copy over the ones from the Skipjack beta
and use them - they are the latest version (49a doesn't seem to be a
tarball release, it was made because the binaries were bad
AFAIK. Wasn't a problem for us).
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.