Jeff Habermann asked:

> well.  Now, because of this deletion, there are sequence gaps in the "idx"
> field.  We would like to be able to use those numbers again for incoming
> clients...Is this possible?

It looks like you can, but IMHO, it would probably be more effective to add
a DELETED flag to your records, and just have your routine that adds new
records look for records with the DELETED flag set before it tries an
insert. The WHERE clauses in your normal queries would include 'DELETED = 0'
to filter out the deleted records.

Another possibility is to make your index (in this case, client ID) so huge
that you don't care if there are gaps. An unsigned INT (instead of
MEDIUMINT) will give you so many keys that it will take over thirteen years
at an average ten new clients per second to overflow.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka

sql, query