Hello Maxim,

There's a bit of confusion in this discussion: Do you (a) want to have
several databases running on the db-server, and all set to different
time zones, or (b) want each client to see db-stored times stated in
his/her local timezone?

(a) AFAIK (and I claim no special expertise here) a single instance of
MySQL will only run in a single TZ - I believe that it is possible to
run the MySQL in a different TZ to that set at the OpSys/hardware level.
That being the case, you likely have to investigate running multiple
instances of MySQL to have Byelorussian time, GMT, and NY Time MySQL
servers (for example).

(b) MySQL is 'server side' coding. Other tools would be required to
ascertain client-side information, such as 'user-local time'. Once the
local TZ was ascertained, it would be a simple matter to compare that to
the server's TZ, and modify all retrieved/entered time values
accordingly.

I must admit I haven't bothered. For international applications (lazily
or sensibly depending...) I simply state that all times are UTC! (with
the exception of my family calendar site, where all times (where stated)
are 'local' (to the person's/event's location, eg the times a plane
flight leaves and arrives))

You will notice that most sites settle for quoting server-local time (no
matter how obscure the combination of their location and the user's) and
leave the poor user to work out the math. NB contrary to parochial
attitudes, most people find converting their local TZ to and from UTC to
be easier than working out what the relationship is between two 'local
times', eg NZST and PST (mainly because they probably have to compare
both TZ values to UTC first and then do the double-math!?)

If you are going for (b), what you propose makes good sense. I will be
interested to hear how you get on/interested to discuss it further.

Regards,
=dn