James Riordon wrote:

> At 15:07 +0800 03/28/2002, Sammy Lau was thought to have said :
>
> >?http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/R/CREATE_INDEX.html
>
> Granted, I should have looked before I spoke for the first question.
>
> >  >         2 - Do I have to do anything special like stop requests to the
> >>  server while I add the index.
> >  >         3 - How safe is this to do?
>
> I do not see the answer for #2 and #3 in the recommended reading. Can
> anyone comment on those questions, or should I just backup and dive
> on in?

You do not need to stop requests while building the index.  However, the
table will be locked while the index is being created so you may not want
to do it during a high traffic period.  The time it takes to build the
index depends upon how many rows are in the table and whether or not the
index is unique (unique indexes will take longer to build).

It's safe to do.  The worst thing that could happen is that you kill your
mysql server mid-index create and then you will need to do a recover table
when you bring it up but no data will be lost due to the in-process index
create.