There have been a lot of questions here about how to store,
sort, etc. various special characters and alphabets in
MySQL internally. Maybe this isn't really a MySQL question,
but I'd like to know how to deal with such characters over
a Web interface.

I have a database of books that's accessed entirely over
the Web via Perl interfaces. I have assorted special characters,
typically accented vowels or things of that straightforward
nature; sometimes there are en-dashes or em-dashes. What's
the best way to work with these? I need to accept input from
people running a potentially wide variety of systems, store
the data in some way, and display them back on the Web. I'd
think this would be a common requirement, but what I've been
able to find in the manual discusses the internal storage only.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

sql, query