I missed the original question but here is my two cents.

The solution has to do with how you define "... used as a online database".  Steve
Rapaport is correct if you want to create a database accessable via a browser, but
if you just want a database available on the net all you need (on the server side
at least) is a mysql database on an internet connected server with mysql
configured to allow connections from outside.

The default mysql configuration only allows connections from clients on the same
computer (localhost) however you can allow connections from selected IP addresses
or any outside address. See the manual about the "GRANT" command. Then, after
installing the MYODBC ODBC driver on your local computer you can use ODBC aware
clients (i.e. ACCESS) to connect to your database via the internet.  You must use
either an ODBC compliant client program (such as Microsoft ACCESS) or a client
program written with native MYSQL support.

I have only done this with my own client ODBC aware apps written in Delphi.  I am
not recommending ACCESS (I hate it) but just mention it as a commonly available
ODBC client that could be used to validate the concept (as I did).

--Richard