This is my first crack at mysql. I am already connecting easily to parallel
mysql databases on Windows98 and on my ISP's server. I have linked to both
from Access97 via ODBC and  I can connect to both from command lines.  I
have also installed perl DBI and DBD::mysql at home. The ISP did not yet
have these modules installed so the system administrator did so on their
server under Perl5.6.1.  I have been developing a web interface to the
database which works at home through my IE browser and testing from the
command line. These perl scripts are set up on my ISP's server where they
perform perfectly in telnet session, but when I try to connect through the
browser the perl script hangs up as soon as it reaches the call to connect.
What's missing? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Here is the test script:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl5.6.1
use DBI;

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
foreach $key (keys(%ENV))
{ print "\$ENV{$key} = \"$ENV{$key}\"<br>\n";
}    #this environment list comes out fine on the browser

my $database = 'reformedme';
my ($sql)= "SELECT * FROM Weekends";
my $hostname = 'alpha.vaxxine.com';
my $port = '3210';
my $user = 'root';
my $password = '*****';

my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:$database:$hostname:$port", $user,
$password);
my $sth = $dbh->prepare($sql) || die "Cannot prepare statement:
$DBI::errstr\n";
my $rv = $sth->execute;
my $table = $sth->fetchall_arrayref || die "$sth->errstr\n";
my($i, $j);
for $i ( 0 .. $#{$table} ) {
        for $j ( 0 .. $#{$table->[$i]} ) {
                print "$table->[$i][$j]<br>\n";
        }
}
my $rc = $dbh->disconnect;    #the table gets printed fine from a telnet
session

#the script never gets this far on a browser
print "<br><br>";
foreach $key (keys(%ENV))
{ print "\$ENV{$key} = \"$ENV{$key}\"<br>\n";
}
exit;