I've been using MySQL on WindowsNT and Solaris for about 5-6 years
(don't use any NT machines anymore), and have yet to experience a
single corrupted table, mysql daemon crash or any other problem with
MySQL. There were a couple of minor snafus when I was setting things
up, but they were mostly me forgetting to set proper database
directory owner/permissions, things like that. I started out with
ISAM tables & version 3.22.4 (I think), now use version 3.23.47 and
all MyISAM tables.

My database use is relatively modest, though; less than a GB of data
now (going to get much bigger very soon), some tables with a few
hundred thousand records, fairly light access.

One thing you might want to do is go to the MySQL list archive at

        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mysql&r=1&w=2

and search for 'myisamchk', 'corrupted', 'corruption', and maybe some
other failure-related terms. By checking out the problems reported,
and their resolutions, you could get an idea of where corrupted
tables are most likely to occur: a particular O/S or kernel, use of a
particular compiler version, network timeouts, heavy query loads,
problems inserting very large fields, etc.

        -steve

At 7:01 PM -0600 4/1/02, Scalper wrote:
>I am working with a low-load, mission-critical database.  Although I
>have yet to have a corrupted table, I seem to read about it  a lot
>on the list.  This is a scary thought for me, considering the
>importance of the data I manage.  Can anyone tell me if this is a
>rare occurrence?  Is it even rarer if I choose to use InnoDB tables?
>Are there any statistics on corruption?  There seems to be plenty of
>material on MySQL and InnoDB and speed vs the other major dbs, but
>what about stability and safety of data?
>
>Craig
>
>query,sql,mysql

| Steve Edberg                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| University of California, Davis                          (530)754-9127 |
| Programming/Database/SysAdmin               http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |
| "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of  |
| all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily  |
| defeat us."                                                            |
|                 - Supreme Court Justice (1939-1975) William O. Douglas |