Hi everyone,
I am trying to understand what's going on here and I hope you can help me.
The swe7 characters set in swe7.conf has some really strange mappings in it.
For instance, the to_upper array maps ASCII 0x7E (a tilde) to 0x5E (a "hat"
aka Ctrl character). Why doesn't a tilde remain a tilde?

Stranger still is the entry in the sort_order array that maps tilde (0x7E)
to Y (0x59). And worst of all, the last letters in the Swedish alphabet (ä,
å and ö == 0xE4, 0xE5 and 0xF6) map to themselves which means that MySQL
sorts them case sensitively while the rest of the alphabet is sorted
case-INsensitively. Similar problems are present in the to_upper and
to_lower arrays so that lower('Ö') (e.g.) returns a capital letter.

I realize that I can make my own character set and I will do so in order to
fix the problems I am seeing. But first I want to make sure that the
problems I describe above are indeed problems due to a buggy character set
and not user error on my part.

There's a good reference to the ISO-8859 character set that Swedish uses
here:
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html#ISO-8859-1

I am using version 3.23.41.

Thanks in advance