> -----Original Message-----
> From: pwxgao [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Subject: PERL/SQL, again? - Re: Procedures

I have been using languages like Smalltalk, Perl and Java for
about xx years. I am a huge fan of putting one in the DB for
embedded server procedures.
I also beleive the best strategic option for MySQL to
continue its adoption in the Enterprise IT world is to choose
perl as this language. java is great. But so was Smalltalk.
We develop everything in our shop now in perl. Continuing to
leverage perl for server DB prcesure makes sense. Using yet
another language, even if it is academically better suited,
goes against the mainstream.

Sorry Jon to pick on you but I cold not resist, I am in far too much of a
good mood this morning, worrying ... it can only get worse.

MySQL should choose a language that is consummate with its present RDBMS
views - i.e. small and fast.  If this is an in house implementation of PLSQL
(like postgresql have done) then fine.  This would leverage all the existing
skills.

Java although great in many respects has faults, and above all is memory
hungry and slow compared to others. As such this does not fit well with
MySQL's apparent views on speed and light weight.

I don't mean to enter an ethical language war, as we all know the
consequences, I just hope that the MySQL team make a good choice (which I am
sure they would).

MySQL team (Monty), are there any plans for this on the radar ?

Greg

> regards, Jon

PFIZER GLOBAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
This message and any attachment has been virus checked by the
PGRD Sandwich Data Centre.