I can't seem to find help for this in the docs or with the search
engine.

I am installing the new 4.x version an rather than run it over 3.23 I
decided to erase the old packages first and start fresh. This is a
RedHat Linux 7.1 box. I am using the RPMs to do this.

After erasing all RPMs from 3.23, I installed the RPMs for 4.xx...

At the end of the process... It claims to attempt restarting MySQL, but
then after a few seconds complains that the startup script in init.d did
not exist.

When I go to find MySQL, only pieces of it are there and none of the
scripts necessary for initializing the database etc...

I checked rpm and it claims the package is installed... (rpm -qa | grep
MySQL)

Frustrated, I started over and removed (rpm -e ... ) the package... Then
installed (rpm -i) the old packages that had been working fine.

I get the same result and broken installation.
It seems that the RPM mechanism is hosed somehow.

Question 1... Am I hosed? -- that is, has RPM somehow become so
corrupted it just won't work anymore?

Question 2... Is there anyway to get this working again without
rebuilding the server from scratch?

Thanks,
_M