HI,

        I am doing a project which looks at internals of a database and I
am trying to understand MySQL source code. I have installed the source
code of version 3.23.47, the most stable version. I am working on Redhat
linux 7.0 version.
        I have complied it, made some changes (have put some printf's),
recompiled and it works fine.
        But all of a sudden when I execute command:

        $ safe_mysqld &

        the mysql server gets restarted again and again. I have opened the
error log file and I get following message:

        020404 23:49:05  mysqld started
        Starting the server ...
        mysqld got signal 11;
        This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
        or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built,
        or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning
        hardware.
        We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
        diagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed, something
        is definitely wrong and this may fail

        key_buffer_size=16773120
        record_buffer=131072
        sort_buffer=524280
        max_used_connections=0
        max_connections=100
        threads_connected=0
        It is possible that mysqld could use up to
        key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 80379 K
        bytes of memory
        Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

        Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to
        find out where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this,
        something went terribly wrong...
        Cannot determine thread, fp=0xbfffb008, backtrace may not be correct.
        Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
        0x80a852a
        0x400378d5
        0x401519dc
        0x40154d7a
        0x4014fdbb
        0x40159ce7
        0x80c3076
        0x80c0568
        0x80bfbf6
        0x80c07b1
        0x80dc8c7
        0x80a9574
        0x40116507
        0x8083c91
        New value of fp=(nil) failed sanity check, terminating stack trace!
        Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/Using_stack_trace.html and follow
        instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
        stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
        resolve it
        The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/r/Crashing.html contains
        information that should help you find out what is causing the crash

        I have followed the instructions given in the manual to trace
where the problem is coming and the traced output is:

        0x80a852a handle_segfault__Fi + 422
        0x400378d5 _end + 938025709
        0x401519dc _end + 939181044
        0x40154d7a _end + 939194258
        0x4014fdbb _end + 939173843
        0x40159ce7 _end + 939214591
        0x80c3076 openfrm__FPCcT0UiUiUiP8st_table + 390
        0x80c0568 open_unireg_entry__FP3THDP8st_tablePCcN22b + 68
        0x80bfbf6 open_table__FP3THDPCcN21Pb + 1078
        0x80c07b1 open_tables__FP3THDP13st_table_list + 89
        0x80dc8c7 acl_init__Fb + 475
        0x80a9574 main + 2904
        0x40116507 _end + 938938143
        0x8083c91 _start + 33

        Can anybody explain what's happening?
        Thanx in advance.

regards,
Satya

| Satyanarayana R Valluri , Fourth Year, B.Tech,               |
| International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad |
| Email:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         |
| Home Page: http://gdit.iiit.net/~satya/                      |