Hi,
  actually I know about current problem in 3.23.49a on linux at least -
there's something weird with the cache I think. I've posted some reports
with my ideas to the bugs list already. For you:

I can get rid of such problems whenever they appear by doing :
mysqladmin flush-tables
They disappear after some time period possibly because the contents of
the cache were flushed as the cache got full or whatever force pushed
the data out from cache or whatever condition forced mysqld to reread
status of teh table from disk again.

Maybe this problem also shows only if the database on which you operate
is accessible via some softlink from your datadir - i.e. if you can
access your problematic table under two different databasenames. I might
not be right, but this is our case at least.

Further, when this error show up, do in this order:

cd /usr/local/mysql/var/$dbname
ls -la $table.*
myisamchk -f -d -v $table.MYI
mysqladmin flush-tables
ls -la $table.*
myisamchk -f -d -v $table.MYI
mysql $dbname -e 'select count(*) from $table;'
mysql $dbname -e 'check table $table;'
mysql $dbname -e 'check table $table;'
mysql $dbname -e 'check table $table;'

I think the SELECT will already work. Compare if the output if both
myisamchk commands were same.
I guess if you omit the `mysqladmin flush-tables` command, the SELECT or
maybe even first CHECK TABLE will fail, but then the next commands wil
work fine.

  This is still not confirmed by the developers, but I know they have
now quite a hard time to get through my mails. ;)
Hope this helps

Martin