It's not illogical at all.  You often want (sometimes need) that field to
make sure a record has not changed when you go back to update the row.  MS
Access (and others) uses this so as not to overwrite changes made since the
record was retrieved.  You can't always rely on the client to set
field=NOW(), and it makes for that much less coding.

mysql, query

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks