My understanding from the mysql docs is that indexing is to be used
primarily for speeding queries on often used tables.  This particular
table is to be queried quite a bit , but almost entirely using the priamry
key.  So, I assumed that making the primary key an index would speed
table searches.  However, it prompted me to ask the question, are primary
keys already optimized for some sort of indexing and searching?  So then I
emailed the list.

Carl