Without setting up replication, you could use 'UPDATE LOW PRIORITY':

http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/P/UPDATE.html

If you do setup replication, you can set the replica database to use low
priority updates too by using the --low-priority-updates option to mysqld:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Command-line_options.html

You should try both of these before switching to innodb as the performance
is not as fast as myisam.

-Marc