I am playing around with portable sql queries (mysql, oracle and
postgres). When executing:

ipplan=> BEGIN;
BEGIN
ipplan=> INSERT INTO area (areaaddr, descrip, customer) VALUES
(16777216, 'kjshdf', 1) ;
ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index
area_areaaddr_key
ipplan=> SELECT custdescrip, customer FROM customer;
NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transactio
n block
*ABORT STATE*

in postgress, I get an error if the transaction failed and then try to
do a SELECT. Mysql using innodb happily continues. Who is correct? I
would think that a SELECT is independent of an INSERT and could
continue?

Please copy me on replies.