Sorry, this came out ugly.  I misinterpreted the list filter's
comments, and thought it would post my original message if I replied
to it, but instead it posted my reply including its warning.

Here's my original question, which is indeed about MySQL, although it
does not contain the words "SQL" or "query":

Is there any reason to prefer a particular order of columns in a
table?

For example, will SELECTs be faster if the columns are requested in
the same order they exist in the table?  Is there a tendency for
columns earlier in the table to be preferred in queries with complex
WHERE clauses, so I should put columns which would be good candidates
for using their index earlier in the database?  Is there any inherent
speed difference between earlier and later columns, for example
earlier columns are always at the beginning of the record, and so
won't require as much of the database file to be read to get their
value for each row?

Thanks for any tuning tips along these lines; I'll do some benchmarks
tonight, but I was hoping somebody already knew this stuff and could
point me in the right direciton.

----ScottG.