Raphael,

RDC> I would like to dump some tables, and also some fields of a given table but
RDC> not all of them, from my database. I understand that mysqldump creates a dump
RDC> of the whole database and not a part of it. How can I do that ?
RDC> Do I have to use the BACK UP command or should I use the SELECT INTO OUTFILE
RDC> command ?

It depends what you want ...
mysqldump allows you to backup not only whole database, you can dump
some tables and only selected records. Please, check the MySQL manual,
you can find description of mysqldump syntax and mysqldump options:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqldump.html

You can also use BACKUP TABLE statement to backup certain tables, look at:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/B/A/BACKUP_TABLE.html

SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE writes selected rows in the file, look at:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/E/SELECT.html

RDC> I tried to use both but they create files that are the property of root (so I
RDC> can't read them back) even though I log in with my own name.

Check privileges for your unix user to write/read files and dirs..

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov