Ruben,

"If you insert an invalid value into an ENUM (that is, a string not present
in the list of allowed values), the empty string is inserted instead as a
special error value."

it is inserting the value as the first value in the table which is the
error value or the index of 0.

i would assume that this is the functionality intended.

i also assume that the whole idea of the enum is to pass in values that are
ALWAYS present.  so if you are going to run into scenarios that "might"
pass null values you probably shouldn't use enum.

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/full/manual_toc.html#ENUM

katen