> Checked my own version and found it to be "Ver 11.16 Distrib 3.23.49".
>
> He, version 11??? Quit confused, but after a sanity check with reality
> I realized I must be using version 3.23. Anyhow, check the status of
> next version and found out that version 4.0 is in alpha mode...
The "Ver 11.16" refers to the version of the MySQL *client* utility.
"Distrib 3.23.49", as you figured out is which version of MySQL it was
distributed with.

> Geeeze - not even beta. So I guess even an estimate when the first
> alpha of version 4.1 is virtually impossible to give right now, or?
I'll trust a MySQL alpha release before the final production releases of
most vendors.  In fact, we're using 4.0.1 in our production environment with
great success.

>From the manual:

*alpha indicates that the release contains some large section of new code
that hasn't been 100% tested. Known bugs (usually there are none) should be
documented in the News section. See section D MySQL change history. There
are also new commands and extensions in most alpha releases. Active
development that may involve major code changes can occur on an alpha
release, but everything will be tested before doing a release. There should
be no known bugs in any MySQL release.
*beta means that all new code has been tested. No major new features that
could cause corruption on old code are added. There should be no known bugs.
A version changes from alpha to beta when there haven't been any reported
fatal bugs within an alpha version for at least a month and we don't plan to
add any features that could make any old command more unreliable.
*gamma is a beta that has been around a while and seems to work fine. Only
minor fixes are added. This is what many other companies call a release.
*If there is no suffix, it means that the version has been run for a while
at many different sites with no reports of bugs other than platform-specific
bugs. Only critical bug fixes are applied to the release. This is what we
call a stable release.

> But anyway. When could one expect to find a first alpha version of 4.1?
> Sometimes during 2003? Or?
The manual makes allusions to an "early 2002" release for 4.1, but I think
that's probably slipped somewhat.  Late 2002/early 2003 seems more likely.
However, be aware that the fact that they plan on having stored procedures
in 4.1, does not guarantee that they actually will have stored procedures.
Often times, a feature cannot be implemented as efficiently as Monty et al
would like, or other features become a higher priority and things get put
off for a while. (*ahem* sub-selects -- when I started using 3.20.x they
were supposed to be in 3.21.x, then 3.22.x, then...)

-JF