I have a form where a user enters some numbers into text boxes.  Some of
the text boxes can be left blank.  The business logic receives all
variables to all text boxes.  Should I :

1.) Validate on the page for the presence of a value, and if not, set the
corresponding value to -1 (it will never be this value).  Therefore the
business logic blindly inserts everything.

OR

2.)  Do not have the variables that correspond to blank text boxes be
set to -1.  Have the business logic build a query based on which variables
are or
are not containing a value.  In this case some fields for that row may be
null.

Carl

sql, query