Hi,

Can anyone point me towards some detaile info on using regular expressions
within queries.

What I'd like to do is a search and replace in the order by field.  For
various rather long winded reasons it is necessary for us to put latex
syntax directly into our db fields so for example

Surname Field: "\'{O} Reilly"

in a surname field.  However, understandbly mysql when it attempts to order
this sticks it at the end on the basis of the backslash.

I want the returned data to still contain the latex chars but would like to
order on the search and replaced version "O Reilly".

Does mysql allow this type of work?  What I'm doing may seem rather odd but
using Unicode wasn't really practical for us and Latex is the best way to
achieve the sort of strange phonetic characters and so forth that we
routinely use.

Thanks for any help,

Gavin McCullagh
Dept of Celtic Studies