I am trying to update a table with information from that same table and
another table.   I have two tables, player and goalie, for a hockey pool.
The field pool_points is total points for forwards, goals * 2 for defencemen
and point + wins * 2 + ties + shutouts * 5.  The goalie table is separate as
goalies have a bunch of different stats than skaters.  The goalie table's
information is matched to the player via the field called player_index.  Each
player has a player index(unique) and each table subsequently has a
player_index field.  It is the primary key on player, but as of now goalie
doesn't have a primary key.  Here is the query that I tried:

mysql> update player set pool_points = points +
    -> (select (shutout*5) +(wins*2) +(ties)
    -> from goalie, player where goalie.player_index = player.player_index)
    -> where position = 'g';

ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'select (shutout*5)
+(wins*2) +(ties)
from goalie, player where goalie.player_ind' at line 2

Thanks!

sam