This is NOT needed as of now..
(just future-thinking on my part),

Hi there... Im just experimenting with a new database,
& i'm wondering..

Is there a way in which I can create a column in a
mysql table to be a unique number/reference.. - & once
set, I dont need to keep maintaining it.. (or set up
an automated maintenance)..

EG...

Ive got Columns,

Unique, Name, Surname, Figure, Date, Etc...

And when I enter data into the table - EG,
John, Smith, 09-678-1234, Paid..

The first  (unique)  column will automatically be set
to '1'

The next row I insert into the table, the unique
column will scan all the used numbers, & automatically
update as '2'

etc....

If i insert 3 more rows, & delete the unique row '3' -
Then the number '3' will  be available - the next time
i insert a row...

Its not important, that they be all numerical, or
sequential.. - As long as the column only has a Unique
reference...

I can insert duplicate names & references - with
slight  differences, so need (or want) a unique
reference.

Gordon.