On Monday 15 April 2002 02:39 pm, Leonardo Dias wrote:
> I received the message that made our MySQL die sometimes now. Our mysqld
> is the binary package available @ www.mysql.com. Version is 3.23.49a
>

> The error message is below.
>
> key_buffer_size=16773120
> record_buffer=1019904
> sort_buffer=1048568
> max_used_connections=284
> max_connections=500
> threads_connected=59
> It is possible that mysqld could use up to
> key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections =
> 1026376 K
> bytes of memory
> Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation
>
> Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
> where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
> terribly wrong...
> Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
> 0x807bb5f
> 0x82a94aa
> 0x82cc0d5
> 0x82c31ae
> 0x82ca6b5
> 0x8077a6c
> 0x8080ca0
> Stack trace seems successful - bottom reached
> Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/Using_stack_trace.html and
> follow instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
> stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
> resolve it
> Trying to get some variables.
> Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
> thd->query at (nil)  is invalid pointer
> thd->thread_id=521437
>
> Since in this version everything is compiled statically, I don't know
> what is wrong exactly. The log has the following information:
>
>                  521437 Connect     [EMAIL PROTECTED] on
>                  521437 Init DB     vagas
>                  521437 Query       select * from temp_vg_olhados where
> idvg=404147 and tabela = 'vagasvg'
>                  521437 Init DB     vagas
>                  521437 Query       update temp_vg_olhados set
> nvg_olhados = nvg_olhados + 1 where idvg=404147 and tabela = 'vagasvg'
>

> apparently an innocent query followed by an update. The binary package
> is statically linked ad it started happening after we started using
> InnoDB. The version is, actually, 3.23.49a-Max.
>
> Although I can't reproduce a better test case than this, I'm sure that
> you can check the binaries you have compiled statically there at MySQL
> AB and reproduce this bug with similar situations. The problem has this
> pattern: it is always a query in a MyISAM table followed by an update.
>
> Although it happens all the time in our application, sometimes it
> crashes the database.

We have just discovered a bug with 3.23.49a binaries - there is a small
memory overrun if you have services with names less than 5 characters in
/etc/nsswitch.conf that are not dns. The most common ones would be db and
nis. So to begin troubleshooting, make sure you do not have db, nis, or any
other short-character service names in /etc/nsswitch.conf so as not to
trigger this bug.

If your /etc/nsswitch.conf is not problematic, the next step in
troubleshooting the problem is to check if temp_vg_olhados does not get
corrupted at any point.

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mspa