It isn't generally a good idea to install one piece by rpm and another by
compiling and installing. A straight compile and install will put things in
different directories from an rpm install. You will have a hard time making
it all work. You can go with rpm or compiling from source, but be consistent.
If you want to compile everything from source, a goood tool to assist you is
here:

http://www.apachetoolbox.com

It will install MySQL, Apache and PHP and allow you to enable the options you
need. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of configuring and compiling.