Roger,

RB> * Egor Egorov
>> RB> 1) does this apply to InnoDb tables?
>>
>> Not quite, InnoDB stores tables in the tablespace, that may consists of
>> several files..

RB> Yes... but rarely one file per table...

RB> But what about the .frm files...? Are they kept open?

>> RB> 2) does this apply to the number of _existing_ tables in a
>> db, or to the
>> RB> number of tables in a single select statement...?
>>
>> Existing tables, temporary tables ... whatever MySQL is storing on disk.

RB> Are you saying that the mysql server will need to open all the tables in a
RB> database at the same time? When does this happen? When I issue the USE
RB> command?

Roger, number of opened files is not the same as number of files in
the directory. When table is created, MySQL creates file(s) on the
disk. So, the maximum number of tables is defined by OS
characteristics: how many files (subdirs) OS can handle for the
directory.

This does not apply to InnoDB tables as they use different storage scheme.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov