Hi!

Michael> This has come up before.  In fact, I had the exact same problem.  You can
Michael> see the the thread "Coredump when running scripts/mysql_install_db " at

Michael>   http://lists.mysql.com/cgi-ez/ezmlm-cgi?1:msp:93051

Michael> The conclusion is in "Problem with setrlimit on HPUX 10.20" at

Michael>   http://lists.mysql.com/cgi-ez/ezmlm-cgi?1:msn:94565

Michael> In short, HP-UX 10.20 has a bug in dce/cma_ux.h which breaks setrlimit
Michael> when largefiles is enabled.  If I understood him correctly, Monty (Michael
Michael> Widenius) acknowledged that his copy of HP-UX 10.20 has this flaw, but he
Michael> says his copy of the official binary works there, though I honestly cannot
Michael> see how.

<cut>

This problem should have been fixed in 3.23.49

I added in include/global.h the following defines:

#if defined(HPUX) && defined(_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE) && defined(THREAD)
/* Fix bug in setrlimit */
#undef setrlimit
#define setrlimit cma_setrlimit64
#endif

Which should have fixed this problem.

Clarence, any change you could compile MySQL with --with-debug and try to
find out why it fails for you?

Regards,
Monty