At 9:00 +0200 4/19/02, Jan Peuker wrote:
>There is a method using trim() but I think it's better to use RLIKE "^A.*"

Regular expression patterns (unlike SQL patterns) don't need to match the
entire string, so RLIKE '^A' is sufficient and more efficient because
it doesn't spend time trying to match anything other than the first
character.

As to the original question (below), that query looks like it should
work.  Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere in the code that executes
the query.  (It may be the query gets modified somehow.  Without seeing
the context, it's hard to say.)