On Friday, April 19, 2002, at 02:10  PM, Andrew Kuebler wrote:

> I'm inserting data with an AUTO_INCREMENT column and immediately after I
> need to use that new number for a corresponding record in another table.
> How am I able to extract that new number quickly? I could run a SELECT
> query after the INSERT using the MAX command, but if at a busy time
> another record is entered while the first record was being entered, it's
> possibly I may get the wrong number. If there a way to use the INSERT
> command and extract the new AUTO_INCREMENT all in one command?

LAST_INSERT_ID() returns the last auto-incremented number for your
database connection.  Yes, this means that even if you execute this and
someone else has auto-incremented the table in the meantime, you will
still have your auto-incremented number (not the new, higher one).  That
is why this function is better than doing SELECT MAX() on that column.

Erik

----

Erik Price
Web Developer Temp