I haven't been able to dig up any specific information about how to get
maximum performance when making changes to large tables.  I have a table
that's close to 4 GB, which I'm altering to come up with the best trade-off
between performance and speed.  Dropping a column or an index seems
exceedingly slow and I'm wondering what parameters matter for this.  I'm
already using the highest-performance drive I can lay my hands on.  What
else matters?

It certainly looks like it's I/O bound, so I'm wondering if forcing it to
build its temp files on a separate disk subsystem would help.  It would be a
much lower-performance system, though (IDE v. SCSI-160).

Thanks in advance...

And now, to get past the (not-very-smart) spam filter... sql, query.

Nick

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(408) 904-7198