<<Resent, because of attachment problem.>>

At 09:52 17-4-2002, Michael Widenius shared with all of us:

Melvyn> Hi Monty / list,
Melvyn> I still didn't change anything with the software, and now other
tables,
Melvyn> also with FT indexes are crashing - these tables have never had
any
Melvyn> problems at AIX. Also - the replica (2 servers are in replication
with
Melvyn> eachother) doesn't expose this error. Hardware, OS etc. is exactly
the
Melvyn> same. Built from a make clean && make, on the exact same source
tree. I'm
Melvyn> totally baffeled.

First, this email list is dedicated for repeatable bug reports. In the
future, please use [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of this list when you
have general problems with MySQL.

For me - it IS repeatable, just don't know how - exactly, but found a
clue:
020416 18:27:25  Error reading packet from server: Lost connection to
MySQL server during query (read_errno 0,server_errno=2013)
020416 18:27:25  Slave: Failed reading log event, reconnecting to retry,
log 'rep_log.003' position 186510180
020416 18:27:25  Slave: reconnected to master
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3306',replication resumed in log 'rep_log.003'
at position 186510180
020416 18:27:59  read_next_with_key: Got error 126 when reading table
./forum/hardware

I think I solved that problem, by upping the openfiles as per your
suggestion.

 (You can of course also get in
direct contact with the MySQL developers by buying support from
https://order.mysql.com ...)

When this persists on AIX, I'll definitely do that.

<cut>

Melvyn> Didn't find any fields in table 'babbelbox'

Have you checked your 'hostname'.err  file for errors ?

The above error normally means that you have not given MySQL enough
file descriptors.

This is a common problem on BSD and is fully documented in the online
manual, under openbsd.

Upped it and restarted mysql.

Melvyn> Here's the strange part:
mysql> CHECK TABLE hardware;
Melvyn> +----------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
Melvyn> | Table          | Op    | Msg_type | Msg_text                   |
Melvyn> +----------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
Melvyn> | forum.hardware | check | warning  | Table is marked as crashed |
Melvyn> | forum.hardware | check | error    | Found 16426 keys of 16428  |
Melvyn> | forum.hardware | check | error    | Corrupt                    |
Melvyn> +----------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
Melvyn> 3 rows in set (1.33 sec)

The above shows the symptoms, but not the reason for the crash :(

When you have problems that mysqld hangs, or becomes unresponsible you
should definitely look at the following MySQL entries:

not applicable. MySQL keeps running - even the slave, which is kindof
strange.

Melvyn> I have a few more tables to go.
Melvyn> Is there enough room, to roughly upload the binary versions of
these index
Melvyn> files, or doesn't this help you?

Melvyn> I can upload the 'before' and 'after' version, so you're able to
determin
Melvyn> the difference.

If you have something that we can use to repeat the problem, we are
interested in looking at this!

In this case it's enough to have the original tables + a set of
commands to get corrupted tables.  Before and after tables will not
help us :(

I don't get the checksum errors anymore - after I changed the table def.
However - myisamchk is not doing a good job with the large keys (restored
them by LOAD TABLE hardware FROM MASTER which produced the correct size),
plus keys become corrupted when a replication packet is not received
correctly,
plus:
mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%ft%';
Empty set (0.07 sec)

The myisamchck is certainly reproducable, as is the missing ft_ variables,
resulting in no way to set ft_min_word_len.

Should I re-report those bugs, so they are easier to process for you?

Today I think I found something interesting:
Some tables kept crashing, with incorrect keyfiles.
Verifying the CREATE TABLE statement, there's was 1 correlation:
The tables all had a second index on the primary key (for what reason? I
don't
know - legacy probably - I think the primary key, was dual-fielded at some
point).

Combining that with the other table that kept crashing there seems to be a
problem,
with the situation, where one field is indexed more than one time.
The first table to crash, did so at a point, where openfiles could never
have been
a problem, since it was like 6:30 in the morning and no visiting spider
anywhere which
could have upped the number of open tables.

Best regards,

Melvyn Sopacua
WebMaster IDG.nl
If it applies, where it applies - this email is a personal
contribution and does not reflect the views of my employer
IDG.nl.