Kevin,
Sunday, April 21, 2002, 11:27:06 PM, you wrote:

KF> I have the standard tarbal install of mysql. I want to know how do I start
KF> the server so that I can access it from another machine. I am running on a
KF> linux 6.2 server where the local ip address of the box is 192.168.1.150  and
KF> the hostname is MysqlServer.  I need to be able to change the host that ir
KF> start with from localhost to something else. I don't see anywhere in the
KF> docs that show how to do this.

KF> I can conect and do all db work on the linux console but cannot seem to
KF> connect from anyother box into the linux box to access the Mysql Server.

You should specify host in the privilege tables to allow user to
connect from that host. As Rodney Broom advice you, look at the
manual. There is enough info about access verification in the section
4.2 General Security Issues and the MySQL Access Privilege System:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privilege_system.html

If you specify host name and you can't connect to the MySQl server
from remote host, try to remove 'skip-networking' entry from my.cnf file ...

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov