Jesper,

what may have happened is that InnoDB created the data files, but because
memory ran out, it did not have time to update the tablespace header to
reflect the size increase by those two data files.

Later when you added yet another data file, it increased the size stored in
the tablespace header.

The new data you have added has probably gone to those two data files you
added first. InnoDB is aware of the data files you specify, but it thinks
that the tablespace size is smaller than the combined size of the data
files!

What to do?

The safest solution is to dump your tables and recreate the whole InnoDB
tablespace.

If you can afford losing the data in the database, then you can experiment
by removing 1 or 2 last files from innodb_data_file_path and look if the
database crashes in an assertion failure when you insert new data.

Regarding your other question about my.cnf parameter, section 2 of
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html is your best help.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy