Steven Roussey wrote:

>Are the tables defined the same on both servers?

Yes, the tables are defined exactly the same.

>Is the data the same?

Just about.  The data on the working server is a copy of the database on
the broken server.  For previous tests I used a several-weeks-old copy
of the data, but for today's tests I re-copied the data over, so it
represents almost the same exact data set.

>Is the query the same? Are both analyzed?

Yes, I analyzed the tables on both databases before running the explain
queries, and the explain queries are exactly the same.  The only
difference I can come up with is that the database on the working server
was dumped from the broken server via mysqldump and then imported into
the working server, while the database on the broken server was created
via table creation statements years ago and has since been updated from
the ISAM to the MyISAM table type and the database server from version
3.22.30 to 3.23.44.

Is it possible that indexes were somehow corrupted in the process and
need to be rebuilt from scratch?  Does it make sense to dump the data on
the broken server and re-import it into a different database on that server?

-myk