Look in db mysql.user to see what users can do what.
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO user@% IDENTIFIED BY "password";
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Unix Newbie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 24 April 2002 10:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mysql users setup.

 Hello all!

   I am just starting out with learning mysql and I have run into some
speed bumps that are mostly my configuration. I have set up mysql
running on a Mac OS X box with php running a particular software package
called phpESP. Works great (a bit slow, but great).

 Now, in order to have my system go live the head honchos decided that
my department could not have the mysql database and the webserver on
thes same machine (security reasons). Now I have read some of the docs
regarding doing this, whatever user accesses the database has to have
the IP that it will be coming from set up after the @ symbol. Well, can
I change an existing user to have access from any location, and how
would I see if that is already set up for this user?

  Sorry for the newbie questions, but docs, urls, or pretty much
anything will get me started thanks so much!

   Terry.