Shaun,

SB> Ladies and Gentleman of the list,

SB> I have been a member of the list for about two weeks now and I must say that
SB> I have learned a lot.  Needless to say I am relatively new to the whole db
SB> scene.

SB> My question is that I installed mySQL onto my linux box (Red Hat 7.2) as
SB> part of the installation.  I am currently running 3.23.42??  I would like to
SB> upgrade my installation to the latest and greatest, however:

First: it will be usefull for you to read the notes for Linux
installation:
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/i/Linux.html

SB>     a)  I do not know which files I have to download server, libraries,
SB> benchmark/test suites, etc.

Look at:
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/i/Linux-RPM.html

You can find description of all rpm packages there. For the minimum
installation you should install server package(MySQL-VERSION.i386.rpm)
and probably client (MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm).

SB>     b)  I do not know if I should downlaod and install 4.0.1, or 3.23.49a/50

3.23.49a - is a currently stable version but v.4.0.1 is also well
tested and suitable for uses.

SB>     c)  I do not know if I should download and install mySQL or mySQL-max

MySQL-Max is an extended MySQL server that is configured with some
aditional options:
          --with-server-suffix=-max
          --with-innodb
          --with-bdb
          CFLAGS=-DUSE_SYMDIR
MySQL-Max supports transaction-safe tables, such as InnoDB and
BDB. You can read more info about MySQL-Max at:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqld-max.html

SB>     c)  Is the installation as simple as killing the sqld and then
SB> installing the rpm(s).  If not what else will I have to do?

1. Take down MySQL sever.
2. rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
   This command shows you which MySQL packages are installed.
3. rpm -e <package_name>
   Uninstalling MySQL

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov