Hi --

I have been trying to solve this problem with a left join, and wonder what
I am missing:

I have three tables:
- applicant (applicantid firstname lastname etc)
- courses(coursesid coursetitle etc)
- reservation (reservationid, applicantid,coursesid etc)

What I want to do is get a list of the courses an applicant has signed
up for AND the list of courses he hasn't (from the reservation table).
so far I thought a left join would work; however since there is more
than one
applicant in the reservation table, using NULL and NOT NULL don't work,
neither does WHERE reservation.applicantid= '1' (with the '1' to be
changed to the the applicant's id number)

 this is as close as I have gotten(using two queries- the first query
works:
first query:
SELECT courses.coursetitle, courses.coursesid from courses
LEFT JOIN
reservation ON courses.coursesid=reservation.coursesid  where
reservation.applicantid = 1
order by coursesid

+--------------+-----------+
| coursetitle  | coursesid |
+--------------+-----------+
| dreamweaver1 |         3 |
| coursename1  |        13 |
| cname12      |        14 |
+--------------+-----------+

but I have not suceeded in getting the courses the applicant has NOT
signed up for...
thes query doesn't work, since it gives courses other applicants have
signed up for that are the same as applicant 1...:

second query:
select courses.coursesid, courses.coursetitle
from courses
LEFT JOIN reservation ON courses.coursesid=reservation.coursesid
where reservation.applicantid != 1 group by coursesidorder by coursesid

 I looked into temp tables and
select as well, but didn't get any closer. It seems one query should solve
this. Hopefully someone with more
experience can help.

thanks,

thomas