        I'm running the precompiled binary of MySQL 3.23.49 on a Compaq
        Alpha system running Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1.

        I run a master mysqld on one machine and a replication slave on a second
        machine. Everything works fine, but when I shut down the master,
        the slave crashes due to a segmentation violation as soon as it tries to
        reconnect to the master. Here is part of the mysqld_multi.log file from
        the host running the slave:

020426 11:26:15  Slave: connected to master 'slave@babel:14641',  replication started
in log 'mysql.001' at position 156
020426 11:27:03  Slave: received 0 length packet from server, apparent master
shutdown:  (0)
020426 11:27:03  Slave: Failed reading log event, reconnecting to retry, log
'mysql.002' position 73
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail

        This isn't caused by a hardware fault, since I can repeat it when I run
        the slave on several different machines.

        Interestingly, I have found that if I run the slave on a Linux machine,
        then the slave process continues to run quite happily in the absence of
        the master. Unfortunately, I have to get the replication slave working
        on a Tru64 cluster so Linux isn't an option!

>How-To-Repeat:
        This problem can be repeated at will.
>Fix:
        None known.

>Submitter-Id
>Originator:    David Harper
>Category:      mysql
>Class:         sw-bug
>Release:       mysql-3.23.49 (Official MySQL binary)
>Environment:

System: OSF1 pcs3f V5.1 1885 alpha
Machine: alpha
Some paths:  /bin/perl /bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake /usr/local/bin/gcc /bin/cc
GCC: Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf5.1/3.0.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.0.3
Compilation info: CC='cc -pthread'  CFLAGS='-O4 -ansi_alias -ansi_args -fast -inline
speed -speculate all'  CXX='cxx -pthread'  CXXFLAGS='-O4 -ansi_alias -fast -inline
speed -speculate all -noexceptions -nortti'  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        17 Jan 30 16:17 /lib/libc.a -> ../ccs/lib/libc.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        17 Jan 30 16:17 /usr/lib/libc.a ->
../ccs/lib/libc.a
Configure command: ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/mysql '--with-comment=Official
MySQL binary' --with-extra-charsets=complex --with-server-suffix=
--enable-thread-safe-client --enable-local-infile --with-prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --disable-shared '--with-named-thread-libs=-lpthread
-lmach -lexc -lc' --disable-shared