Hello.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 04:09:57PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
> Looking for advice on integrating database applications.
>
> We are building a web app in php.  Generally I use MySQL for everything.
> But this app needs to integrate with, or at least exchange data with an
> accounting package running PervasiveSQL db.
>
> I think I can access Pervasive with php's built-in ODBC functionality.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Does anyone know if both ODBC connections and mysql connections can
> be maintained in the same script? (Be polite if you feel this is
> strictly a PHP question!)

Why? You even acknoledged that you know that it off-topic. It cannot
be answered without PHP knowledge. While one needs no MySQL knowledge
to answer it (only knowledge of PHP's MySQL API).

That said, from what I know of PHP, I see no reason why it shouldn't
be possible to use both in the same script.

> 2. I am currently torn between two approaches:
>       a) build the web app with mysql and have the headache of
> synchronization with Pervasive(any good docs on that would be
> appreciated!)
>
>       OR
>
>       b) build the app with Pervasive and have the security issues of
> a web app directly accessing the internal db

The answer depends on what the web application is supposed to do. If
you just want to accept order and write them to the internal db, you
do not need any db on the server. Write the order in some file, which
you let copy once per day or so from your internal server and update
the db there. No security issues involved.

If you want something like e.g. Amazon's order system, there is IMHO
no reasonable way to not connect to the database with the main data,
i.e. your internal db.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--