Rance,

RH> Victoria, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, Ive had a partition
RH> table problem that has taken a couple of days to fix

RH> anyway,

RH> Using MyCC, in the database connection dialog, I have the host "localhost"
RH> a valid user name, and password

RH> Identified the port as the default 3306 but dont know if this is the right
RH> answer for my server, or how to find out.

You can check it by command:
     SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'port';

RH> no other boxes checked on the front page of the connection dialog.

RH> When I try to connect using this information, I get Error 10061: Connection
RH> to Mysql Server Failed.

This error occures when server refused connection ...
Rance, check if all data (username, password, host, port) is
correctly. I know it's a bit of bore request, but I ask you to check
it.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko