[snip]
Fascinating.  But how do you build the SELECT?  Seems to me you would
first have to "SELECT RecordID FROM tblClass10" and then script an
iteration to build the whole series of IF clauses.  Or did I miss
something?
[/snip]

You could do that for the RecordID if you do not know what they are (I knew
what RecordID's existed, so I could specifiy an IF statement for each). If I
remember correctly you could even have SQL produce do the code for you. In
PHP you could do it any number of ways (pseudocode follows - untested,
YMMV);

$query1 = "SELECT DISTINCT RecordID ";
$query1 .= "FROM tblFOO ";

$query2 = "SELECT RecordDate, ";
$db1 = mysql_query($query1, $dbconnect)
while($dbrow = mysql_fetch_object($db1)){
        $query2 .= "IF(RecordID=$dbrow->RecordID,count(*),0) AS $dbrow->RecordID,
";
        }
$query2 .= "FROM tblFOO ";
$q11 .= "GROUP BY RecordDate ";

Now, IF THIS WORKS (I will repeat that I have not tested it), it would be
very convenient. I may have made some small syntax errors, if I get the
chance I will try it later. If you try it and it works let me know.

Jay Blanchard